A dental crown is a common restorative option for a decayed or damaged tooth. When the damage is too extensive for a filling, a crown can still save the tooth in many cases.
If you have a tooth that needs a crown, you may be wondering how much it costs. Here’s what you can expect in terms of the average cost of a dental crown in North Richland Hills, Texas.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a tooth shaped cover placed over an existing tooth. When too much enamel is gone due to decay or damage, a crown can be placed over the remaining tooth material. This allows the natural root of the tooth to stay in place for support. A crown looks and functions like a natural tooth, allowing you to chew effectively and smile with confidence.
Average Cost of a Dental Crown
The average cost range for a single dental crown could be anywhere from $500 to $2,000 without or before insurance. The exact cost of getting a crown for an individual depends on a variety of factors.
Factors That Affect the Cost of a Dental Crown
There are numerous factors that contribute to the cost of getting a dental crown:
- Insurance. One of the biggest factors in the cost of any dental procedure is insurance. If you have dental insurance that covers restorative procedures including dental crowns, a portion of the total cost will be paid for by your insurance. You may have a remaining balance to pay out of pocket.
- Type of crown. Dental crowns can be made of different materials and the type of material affects the cost. A crown can be made of porcelain, porcelain fused to metal, gold alloy, or metal alloy.
- Size of the tooth. The size of the tooth that needs the crown may also affect the cost. The larger the tooth, the larger the crown, and the more material that will be needed to create it.
- Root canal. In some cases a tooth that is damaged enough to need a crown will also need a root canal. An infected tooth will definitely need a root canal and an at-risk tooth should have one as well to prevent infection. A root canal adds to the total cost of the tooth restoration.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Are dental crowns worth the cost? Consider the many benefits of dental crowns to help you decide if this restorative procedure is right for you.
- Save the tooth. A crown saves the existing tooth, allowing the majority of the tooth material to remain in place.
- Prevent bone loss. The root of the existing tooth can stay in place with a crown, which prevents bone loss that can occur in the jaw in the absence of a tooth.
- Lasting solution. A dental crown lasts an average of 10-15 years, but most last for 20 years or more. You may never have to replace it in your lifetime.
- Save money. The cost of a dental crown is less than the cost of a replacement tooth, such as a bridge or dental implant.
Where To Get a Dental Crown in North Richland Hills, TX
For a quality, natural looking dental crown restoration, visit R. Renan Williams, DDS. With over 30 years of experience in North Richland Hills and the surrounding area, Dr. Williams has the expertise to create and place your dental crown with precision and accuracy that offers lasting results.