Dental implants can make a significant impact on your life. They replace compromised or missing teeth that could affect your self-image and general health. Dental implants work better than dentures and bridges because they function like your natural teeth. You can brush, floss, and eat normally.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants can replace natural teeth in function and appearance. They avoid the problems associated with bridges and partial dentures and are an excellent option for most patients.
The Dental Implant Process
Getting dental implants begins with a consultation where you and your dentist discuss what will happen next. They will address any implant concerns you may have and any pre-surgical instructions.
The surgical process begins with extracting damaged teeth to make way for the implants. You may need grafts to increase bone strength. Your dentist can complete this procedure simultaneously with the extraction surgery.
The next step is the surgery to place the titanium posts. It takes about one to two hours to place each post. This surgery is usually well-tolerated but will require some healing time. Dentists generally wait two to three months after extraction before placing the posts.
After the posts have healed, the dentist makes the crowns that will top them. Placing the crowns is an easy process.
Finally, you will have beautiful teeth that function exactly like your natural teeth. You will feel free to smile and eat what you want.
Full Mouth vs. Single Implants
Full-mouth dental implants and implant-supported dentures can replace an entire arch of teeth at once. Single implants replace one tooth at a time.
If you know that your remaining teeth may soon be compromised, you may want to look into getting a full-arch implant.
Dentists offer a few kinds of full-arch implants. They include implant-supported dentures, full-mouth implants, and All on 4 implants. Please speak with your dentist about what they offer and what procedure is proper for you.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Dental implants work better than traditional crowns or bridges that depend on having healthy teeth or crowns on either side.
- Bridges and partial dentures sometimes damage the nearby natural teeth. Implants do not affect nearby teeth.
- Dental implants last longer than partials and bridges and are less prone to breakage.
- Implants have a high success rate, and the devices bond well with the underlying jaw bone.
- Dental implants duplicate your natural teeth. You can brush, floss, and care for them without removing them from your mouth.
- Eat any food you like when you have dental implants, though you may want to be cautious with sticky foods on the crowns.
- Implants preserve the alignment of your teeth. The other teeth will shift to new positions when a tooth is missing. This problem could reverse orthodontic procedures you had earlier in life and cause bite issues.
The Price Range for Dental Implants in North Richland Hills, TX
The price per single implant is approximately $1,500 to $4,500. It may vary depending on individual circumstances.
The cost for full-mouth replacements is between $15,000 and $23,000 per arch.
Good Candidates for Dental Implants
Most people can successfully receive dental implants, but here are a few issues that may arise:
- Adults who have stopped growing can receive dental implants.
- Candidates for implants need healthy gums. If you have gum disease, this will need treatment before you can get implants.
- If you have bone loss in your jaw, you may need grafting. If the bone loss is excessive, implant surgery may not be for you.
- If you drink alcohol to excess, smoke, or have uncontrolled diabetes or cancer, you may not be able to get implants. Address these issues first, if possible.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
The surgical implant itself lasts indefinitely, but the crown on top may need replacement after 10-15 years have passed. The crowns' lifespan depends on how well you care for your teeth.
Be sure to follow Dr. Williams' post-surgical instructions for the best results.
Getting Dental Implants
If you have a missing tooth, contact your dentist to determine whether implants work for you. Getting a dental implant is better for your oral health than leaving a gap in your teeth.
If you need any dental service in the North Richland Hills, TX area, including implants, call R. Renan Williams DDS at 817-281-4801.