Dental implants are the latest technology in replacement teeth. They are becoming an increasingly popular choice for patients with one or more teeth that are missing or beyond saving. Why are dental implants so popular? Are they worth the time and cost? Here’s what you should know.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root made of titanium. It is surgically placed in the bone of your jaw where a natural tooth root used to be. Titanium is a biocompatible metal that is capable of fusing with the bone through a process called osseointegration. It is resistant to corrosion and will not break down or rust in the moist conditions of your mouth. Once the implant has fused with the bone it can support an artificial tooth. Two implants can support a dental bridge and 4-6 implants can support dentures.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of dental implants varies greatly depending on a number of factors. The average cost ranges anywhere from $1,000-$5,000 per dental implant. It is often the price of dental implants that causes some patients to hesitate before agreeing to this tooth replacement option. Another important detail regarding the cost of dental implants is the fact that dental insurance does not typically cover this procedure as it is considered to be cosmetic.
Why Pay For Dental Implants?
You may be wondering why people pay for dental implants when the cost is higher than other tooth replacement options, such as a bridge or dentures. This is because dental implants offer many advantages over the other options, such as:
- Functions like a natural tooth. A dental implant is anchored in the jaw like a natural tooth, allowing it to withstand the same bite and chewing force. Once your implant has fully fused with the bone in your jaw, you can eat the foods you love without concern.
- Will not damage healthy teeth. Unlike a bridge, a dental implant has no negative effects on the healthy teeth around it. A bridge is supported by crowns placed over the healthy teeth on either side of the missing tooth, which requires the permanent removal of some of the enamel. Over time, the chewing force exerted on the bridge can cause damage to the support teeth. Dental implants keep your existing teeth safe and healthy.
- Prevents bone loss in the jaw. Dental implants fuse with the bone in your jaw, keeping it strong and healthy as it would be if the natural tooth was in place. In the case of bridges or traditional dentures, the bone in the jaw will weaken over time and eventually resorb, or dissolve.
- Provides a natural appearance. Dental implants are the most natural-looking artificial teeth because they are anchored in your jaw in the same way as your natural teeth. The prosthetic is typically made of porcelain that resembles tooth enamel.
- Can last for the rest of your life. The bond created between the implant and the jaw bone can last a lifetime. A dental implant is a lifelong investment toward your own dental and oral health.
What if I Can’t Afford Dental Implants?
Don’t let the cost of dental implants cause you to compromise on quality. You deserve the highest quality tooth replacement option available, regardless of your financial status. There are plenty of financing options to divide the cost into affordable monthly payments. You pay off the cost of your dental implants gradually while you enjoy the benefits.
Where Can I Get Quality Dental Implants?
Before you invest in a tooth replacement option, it is important to find a qualified dentist who provides top quality dental implants. R. Renan Williams, DDS has the experience to place dental implants with precision for lasting results. We use the highest quality materials in our dental implants and prosthetics to give you natural-looking and functioning results that can last a lifetime.